Brazilian Waxing Tips & Preparation
The male brazilian wax? Yes, it's no longer gender-specific! Now men can reap the benefits of longer-lasting hair removal even in their most intimate region. So if you're a man new this world, and don't know what to expect, here is a step-by-step briefing for waxing beneath the boxers.
How Should I Prepare?
- Be clean. Come freshly showered.
- Be dry. Cleanliness is appreciated, but please skip on the lotion, you'll get better results if your skin is less oily.
- Be hairy. Your hair should be at least 0.25 inches in length (which makes it long enough to lay flat on your skin). Please don't shave for at least two weeks prior to your appointment to ensure that your hair is long enough! Also, if you've 'let it go' down there and it seems out of control, don't worry! Our specialists will trim any longer hairs to the proper length prior to the removal process.
- Be comfortable. If possible, wear loose clothing that day to prevent irritation in the post-wax phase.
- Be relaxed. Reportedly the more relaxed your muscles are, the better your hair removal results will be!
What Should I Expect?
- Remove clothing. You will be asked to remove your underwear in a treatment room. By removing your underwear you protect your clothing as well as provide optimal working conditions so that the technician can get all of the unwanted hair!
- Prep the area. Your technician will cleanse the area to eliminate potentially dangerous bacteria that may exist on your skin.
- Consultation. Your technician will examine the hair length, and trim accordingly for safety purposes as well as your preference. She will also ask you about what areas you would like to leave hair and how much of it you would like to leave.
- The fun part, getting rid of the hair. Your technician will perform the actual waxing.
- Fine-tuning. Your technician will present a mirror for you to view the result and the approval of your new 'do' as well as check for any stray hairs!
- You're done. You are finished and ready to go about the rest of the day! (Oh, please remember to dress before leaving the room!) And remember, If this is a new 'thing' for you, treat your 'Brazilianized' bikini like you would any other haircut, try it out for a few days and then decide!
Reasons Why Men Get a Male Brazilian or Bikini Wax:
- Men who shave are now opting to avoid the itchy 'five o'clock shadow' and go for a longer-lasting, smoother solution.
- Swimmers and body-builders tend to get all of their body hair removed, especially before competition.
- Personal preference, some guys hate body hair as much as some women!
These Brazilian waxing tips will help you prepare your skin, take the pain factor down and minimize bumps and irritation afterwards. A lot of women and men opt for this service because they like the feeling of the entire bikini area being totally, or almost hair-free. While you need to be cautious any time you remove hair, because of its specialty nature, it should be treated with extra care.
Pre Brazilian Waxing Prep:
- Particularly for women. Your skin is often more sensitive the time near your your period, and waxing can be more painful than normal. So your appointment shouldn't be any closer than a couple of days before or after your period. Most places understandably won't perform a Brazilian while you're on your period.
- Cleanliness. Shower and lightly exfoliate your entire bikini area right before your appointment using warm, not hot water. Make sure you're extra clean.
- Skip this step. Don't use any lotions in bikini area.
- Hair for now. You need some hair growth for the wax to hold onto, but not too long which can make the waxing hurt more than it needs to. Let the technician trim hair down to just the right length at your appointment, or follow the salon's specific instructions for trimming.
- Pain preventers. Take an aspirin or Tylenol 30- 45 minutes before your appointment if you're worried about pain.
Post Brazilian Waxing Care:
- Watch your fashion choices. Don't wear tight panties for the next few days.
- Hands off. Keep hands away from touching freshly waxed skin, as this can encourage irritation or small pimples.
- Opt for a shower. Don't take a hot bath for the rest of the day.
- Too hot. No tanning beds, saunas or steam rooms for the next two days.
- Short-term abstinence. Sexual activity should be avoided for at least 24 - 48 hours.
- Exfoliate. Two full days later use a mild exfoliator. My pick, an Ayate washcloth which gently exfoliates skin alone wet, or can be used with your favorite body wash, but is more mold-resistant than loofahs.
- Fight the bumps. If you get any ingrown hairs try Tend Skin, a huge favorite for getting rid of pesky ingrowns.